Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Teaser Tuesday


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share 2 “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Well, here are my teasers for this week....
"He breathed in deeply, his chest filling with the rich scents of the room, and felt two things: proud that maybe this brave woman warrior would come to his coffeehouse, and angry that her visit would put his mother, Sunny, and especially Yazmina in danger. Yazmina, he thought, look at her tonight. She is like the sun in that dazzling dress, with her hair showing under her scarf." (p.126)

Uncle Tom's Cabin By Harriet Beecher Stowe
"This is God's curse on slavery! - a bitter, bitter, most accursed thing! - a curse to the master and a curse to the slave! I was a fool to think I could make anything good out of such a deadly evil. It is a sin to hold a slave under laws like ours; I always felt it was - I always thought so when I was a girl - I thought so still more after I joined the church; but I thought I could gild it over - I thought by kindness, and care, and instruction, I could make the condition of mine better than freedom - fool that I was!" (Mrs Shelby: p.43)

"Gratitude is important to happiness. Studies show that consistently grateful people are happier and more satisfied with their lives; they even feel more physically healthy and spend more time exercising. Gratitude brings freedom from envy, because when you're grateful for what you have, you're not consumed with wanting something different or something more." (p.202)


10 comments:

  1. Great teasers! That's quite a mix of books you're reading this week; I especially love the first teaser---yay for coffee! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of The Happiness Project but haven't read it. Thank you for including a teaser from that book.
    Here's mine: Sandy's Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the teaser from Uncle Tom's Cabin. I tried reading The Happiness Project twice and finally gave up. Here is my teaser from Book 8 of the Anne of Green Gables Series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard of The Happiness Project! I was wondering if I should read it, and now, I think I will(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like The Little Coffeeshop guy isn't TOO terribly upset.

    Definitely going to have to check out The Happiness Project. Might learn something.

    Thanks for stopping by LIO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice teasers!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/teaser-tuesday_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Happiness project is a book I've been wanting to read!! Thanks for reminding me about it!! And thanks for visiting My Teaser

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sounds of these teasers! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great teasers!! Thanks for sharing! And Thanks for stopping by!

    Amy @ Following the Reader

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you! :)