Friday, January 27, 2012

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie By Alan Bradley


Title: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
Author: Alan Bradley
Published: Orion Books, Great Britain
No. Pages: 358
Genre: Fiction, Mystery
Rating: 4.5 stars

Review The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first book of the Flavia de Luce Mystery Series by Alan Bradley. The novel is centred around the incredibly intelligent and witty heroine Flavia de Luce, who is determined to solve the mystery of a stranger’s death in the cucumber patch of her home, Buckshaw, in 1950’s England.
This was such an enjoyable, easy read and I instantly loved the character of Flavia which means that I know I am going to enjoy the remainder of the series! Despite Flavia’s obvious intelligence, Alan Bradley also captures the innocence, curiosity and cheek of her 11 year old mind so beautifully that although you are reading a mystery, you find yourself grinning and even laughing as she grapples with the evidence that she uncovers in her own roundabout way. I am really glad I finally got around to reading this book and am looking forward to the next in the series – The Weed that Strings the Hangman’s Bag.
Further reading suggestions: The Flavia de Luce Mystery Series books following The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie are listed below in order;

·   The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag
·   A Red Herring Without Mustard
·   I Am Half-Sick of Shadows
·   Seeds of Antiquity
·   The Nasty Light of Day

1 comment:

  1. Mystery with a little fun thrown in, this sounds like a fun read. I really like the very creative titles in this series, they are all intriguing. I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you! :)