Monday, January 23, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading?


Hosted By Sheila @ Book Journey
Well, firstly I cannot believe it is Monday again already!! I think that is because I have to go back to work on Friday and that means less reading time...oh well :(

Okay....here is where I am at with my reading:


* The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul By Deborah Rodriguez...finished this one and really enjoyed it! Click here to read my review.

* The Happiness Project By Gretchen Rubin.....am sorry to say that this one has gone back to the TBR pile. I don't hate it, but I really don't love it and there are too many other great books to spend my time reading! It was a great concept and it is interesting, but it feels a bit forced and laborious when a motivational book should be grabbing me with its every word. Plus, I saw a couple of YouTube interviews with Rubin about the 'inspiring' moment that gave her the idea for the book and she gave two slightly different versions of it which gave me the impression that it was  made-up or altered to be more 'inspiring'!....all about selling the book and not really her story...so that put me off.

* Uncle Tom's Cabin By Harriet Beecher Stowe.....nearly finished and LOVING it!! It is a really confronting topic, but Harriet Beecher Stowe's writing is so honest. Her determination to expose slavery as inhumane and disgusting is conveyed through her every word. I never realised how important the story of Uncle Tom's Cabin was to American history.

* The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie By Alan Bradley....Have just begun this one, and am really enjoying it too! I love Flavia!!! :)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks By Rebecca Skloot...cannot tell you how interesting the story of Henrietta's life and HeLa cells is! The writing is so good that at times I forget I am reading a non-fiction book!

2 comments:

  1. I read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie this month! Isn't Flavia a refreshing heroine? I'm excited to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I only recently realised that it is even part of a Flavia De Luce Mystery Series, so I am very excited that when I finish this one there are more to come! I love the titles of each book too :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you! :)