Monday, January 16, 2012

It's Monday! What are you Reading?

Hosted By Sheila @ Book Journey
It is so incredibly wonderful being on holidays and having time to read and read and read and read!!! 

Last week I finished 100 Things by Sebastian Terry and The Language of Flowers By Vanessa Diffenbaugh and I LOVED both of them!! Click on the titles to read my reviews!

This week I am reading 3 great books! The Happiness Project By Gretchen Rubin, The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul By Deborah Rodriguez and Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

First up.....The Happiness Project By Gretchen Rubin. I have begun reading this and am enjoying it so far. The book is divided into twelve chapters which correlate with each month of the year covering; Vitality, Marriage, Work, Parenthood, Leisure, Friendship, Money, Eternity, Books, Mindfulness, Attitude and Happiness. Here is a video from YouTube to give you an idea of the book.


Secondly....The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul By Deborah Rodriguez. I noticed this book everywhere at the shops and avoided it for a long while, although I am not sure why, but it is  better than I had expected so far. Will give a review when I am done. 




And thirdly.....Uncle Tom's Cabin By Harriet Beecher Stowe. This was a Christmas gift from my beautiful friend Lesa - a gorgeous old embossed hardcover edition! Well, I have never read this book before and knew nothing of Harriet Beecher Stowe, so I did a little looking around and found this clip from YouTube about her life and the writing of Uncle Tom's Cabin. Click here to view the video, I couldn't embed this one, but it is really worth watching. Now I know how important this book is to American History!



18 comments:

  1. I read Uncle Tom's Cabin for the first time a few years ago and was totally surprised at how much I loved it! I hope you enjoy it as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am glad to hear you loved it! I hope I do too...will let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't able to finish Uncle Tom's Cabin. It was too disturbing.


    Here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting mix. :-) Happiness Project sounds good. Happy reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Language of Flowers is one i have seen nothing but rave reviews about

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Uncle Toms Cabin on audio... I need to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed holidays and lots of reading time too. Looking forward to going back today but going to miss all that time for reading.

    Such a beautiful copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin. She was a brave woman for publishing it despite the upheaval it caused. Always meant to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting NotJustReading. You've some lovely books there - the Happiness Project is especially intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some great books! A very thought provoking week ahead of you! I wish you Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful gift!!!!

    Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote so many books. I hope you try others after her most famous book. My personal favorite is Pearl of Orr's Island.

    With the three day weekend, I had a chance to finish a bunch of books I've been working on the last month. Please come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't say I've read those titles yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the Language of Flowers, so sad but so inspiring at the same time. I have heard a lot of great things about The Happiness Project but still haven't made up my mind if I am going to read it yet. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Little Coffee Shop pf Kabul sounds like it could be an interesting read

    Have a great reading week!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a beautiful cover on Uncle Tom's Cabin. I've never read it either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am going to finally read Uncle Tom's cabin....I read so much about this book but never actually saw it! I am half way through Pride and Predjuice....I am glad I have my next book lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All three of those sound really good, I've heard lots of good things about The Happiness Project. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you! :)