Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Language of Flowers - By Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh was a fantastic read! I enjoyed the storyline immensely and found the reference to flower meanings really intriguing and was surprised to find a copy of Victoria's flower dictionary at the back of the book! Initially I thought it was a bit lacking in depth, but as the story about Victoria's childhood and her relationship with her long term carer Elizabeth emerged I found myself completely invested in it and connected to the characters as though they were real people. The concept of a novel about love, family and redemption is not uncommon, but Diffenbaugh's unique approach to this theme in the Language of Flowers was beautiful. When a book moves me to tears, as this one did, I know that it was a great book! I think most people would enjoy this novel.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this book everywhere lately! Initially the synopsis wasn't really grabbing me but, since everyone is loving it, I may have to add it to my TBR list.
    PS - I just read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie a few weeks ago. I will have to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and it made me cry too! The ending felt so real to me. She still had her issues but she was doing what she could to deal with them. Excellent read!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you! :)