Friday, January 20, 2012

The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul By Deborah Rodriguez


Title: The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul
Author: Deborah Rodriguez
Published: A Bantam Book, Random House Australia
No. Pages: 286
Themes: Friendship/love, women’s rights, Afghanistan culture
Genre: Fiction
Rating: 4 stars
Review 
The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul is a heartwarming tale of five women whose lives cross paths in Afghanistan as the Taliban regime strengthens. It is a heartwarming tale of friendship, love and courage as they struggle to comprehend and fight against the political and cultural repression of Afghani women.
It was a great story and a good read, one that reminded me of the importance of friends, family, love and compassion. It was also a stark reminder of the plight of women in Afghanistan who continue to suffer horrific abuse and repression. From the very first page I was introduced to the main storyline and the characters were so vividly developed that I felt as if I knew them. The way their lives were interwoven throughout the story was beautifully done. I think that most people would enjoy this book. Despite some heavy themes, the book was easy to read and one that I wouldn’t ever have considered putting down once I started reading it.
Further reading suggestions:
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns By Khaled Hosseni
  • Raising My Voice By Malalai Joya

6 comments:

  1. if you like that you might like The Dressmaker of Khair Khana. Its about women of the same region who become dressmakers to help their family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion... Will check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one before but it really sounds like one I'd like. And maybe even an excellent book club selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Lisa...I agree, I think it would be an excellent book club selection.

      Delete
  4. This does sound like a very interesting story. I'm behind on my reading right now but I think I'll add this one to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! It was an interesting story. I always smile when people say they are adding to their TBR pile! I'm glad I'm not the only one that keeps adding and adding and adding! lol :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you! :)