Monday, April 16, 2012

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila @ Book Journey where you can share what you are reading each week. Be sure to visit Book Journey to link up if want to join in! 


Well, before I talk about what I am reading this week, let me just say that I finished The Fault in Our Stars By John Green on Saturday and oh my goodness what an amazing read...just, wow! So raw, honest and heart wrenching....you have to read it. Review will be here soon :)  This week though, I am excited to be starting Cutting for Stone By Abraham Verghese and The Earth Hums in B Flat By Mari Strachan. 


Cutting for Stone By Abraham Verghese is one that I have wanted to start reading all year! Here is the book description from Amazon:


A sweeping, emotionally riveting first novel—an enthralling family saga of Africa and America, doctors and patients, exile and home.
Marion and Shiva Stone are twin brothers born of a secret union between a beautiful Indian nun and a brash British surgeon at a mission hospital in Addis Ababa. Orphaned by their mother’s death in childbirth and their father’s disappearance, bound together by a preternatural connection and a shared fascination with medicine, the twins come of age as Ethiopia hovers on the brink of revolution. Yet it will be love, not politics—their passion for the same woman—that will tear them apart and force Marion, fresh out of medical school, to flee his homeland. He makes his way to America, finding refuge in his work as an intern at an underfunded, overcrowded New York City hospital. When the past catches up to him—nearly destroying him—Marion must entrust his life to the two men he thought he trusted least in the world: the surgeon father who abandoned him and the brother who betrayed him.
An unforgettable journey into one man’s remarkable life, and an epic story about the power, intimacy, and curious beauty of the work of healing others.

The Earth Hums in B Flat By Mari Strachan is one that has been on my TBR pile forever and is also part of my Mount TBR challenge...yay!! Here is the book description from Amazon:
The Earth Hums in B Flatis a story of dark family secrets unraveled by the shrewd insight of twelve-year-old Gwenni Morgan, a child with an irrepressible spirit living in a Welsh village that is reluctantly entering the modern age. From the small bed that she shares with her sister at night she flies up into the starry sky above her village and looks down on the lives of its inhabitants. And when the family that she babysits for is rocked by the sudden, unexplainable disappearance of their patriarch, Gwenni is determined to solve the mystery of Ifan Evan’s whereabouts. Turning amateur detective, she is unaware that the trail will lead her closer to home than she ever imagined.
Told with a breathtaking, irresistible blend of freshness and wisdom, the voice that sixty-two-year-old Welsh debut novelist Mari Strachan has created with Gwenni is vibrant, charming, and full of heart. An unforgettable character, Gwenni’s unique way of seeing the world lends her the ability to make the ordinary extraordinary. A magical novel about the trials of youth, familial duty, and understanding,The Earth Hums in B Flatwill transport you to another time and place.

13 comments:

  1. The cover for The Earth Hums is gorgeous. Hope you enjoy both books.

    Tanya
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutting for Stone is wonderful and if you like to cook and experiment - try making the Dora Wot in the book... we made it for our book review and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will definitely try Dora Wot! Just looked up recipes for it after I read your comment and it sounds delicious :)

      Delete
  3. You have very interesting books! I read Cutting for Stone a few months ago. I liked it, but didn't love it. But it's a great way to get to know something about a different culture and that always makes a book worthwhile.

    Judith of http://leeswammes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Cutting For Stone was excellent though it took me awhile to get into the story. I liked The Fault in Our Stars. It is the first John Green book I read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read The Fault in our Stars...hope you enjoy your week!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Cutting for Stone on my tbr list...I'm hoping to get to it this summer!

    Have a great week!
    Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Earth Hums in B Flat sounds interesting. I love when books reference music or other subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Earth Hums in B Flat sounds very interesting, I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had Cutting for Stone on my TBR forever - I really want to get to it soon as it sounds great. Hope you enjoy your reads :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, The Fault in our Stars. I well up with emotion just thinking about it! It was our pick for book club this month, and we sure had lots to say about it at our meeting last week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These books all sound interesting. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cutting for stone sounds interesting. Waiting to hear your take on it.
    Have a good week

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you! :)