Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: The Snow Child By Eowyn Ivey


Title: The Snow Child
Author: Eowyn Ivey
Published: Headline Review 2012
No. Pages: 432
Themes: Life, love, belief
Genre: Fiction
Rating: 5 stars
The Snow Child was one of the most beautifully written and paced stories I have read in a really long time! I was so very surprised by how much I loved it because it wasn’t a novel I had heard anything about prior to picking it up at the bookshop and to be honest, it was the beautiful cover art that initially sucked me in!
The Snow Child is based on the Russian fairytale Snegurochka which is about an old man and woman, unable to have a child of their own, who build a snow child that magically comes to life. In Ivey’s novel, the magical is masterfully weaved into the reality of a couple’s struggle through life after the loss of their own child, and you find yourself lost in a story that is ultimately very real and heartwrenching. The descriptive language is simply beautiful and the characters are so well developed that by the end of the novel you feel as though you have watched them grow throughout their entire lifetime. I don’t want to spoil the story, so I am not going to tell you anymore, but I truly recommend this book to you because you will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you! :)